Personal information is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion.
There are further special provisions, which apply to the collection of some personal information, which is known as sensitive information. This includes health information and information about a persons’ race, ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political, professional or trade associations, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences and criminal history.
Collection of personal information by us
We are required to collect personal information to prove you have read and agree with our “disclaimer” document. All participants must read and sign this document providing correct identification information.
The kinds of personal information we collect and store may vary. However, it may include (amongst other things):
- personal information you give us when you request a product or service from us including attending any Le Step class, function, competition or social event. This information may include but is not limited to your starting date, venues you attend, and other personal information you give us when you attend Le Step. This information may include your full name, address, landline or mobile telephone numbers, e-mail address/es,
- personal information provided by you for purchases may also include credit card details,
- communications between you and Le Step & Qld Modern Jive Championships;
- transactional information about your use of our dance classes and venues or other services (for example, your feedback on how you enjoyed your class with Le Step, which venues you attend);
- personally sensitive information regarding your ability to be involved in the physically demanding activity of dance;
- information provided by our clients or third parties about you where it is in the form of a formal or informal complaint or other issue that my affect our liability;
- information regarding your behaviour or activity at our classes, functions or events or any social event organized by ourselves, our clients or any third party to which our clients have been invited;
- information freely provided by you which may help us with statistical information regarding our clientele. Such information by be classed as sensitive information (age, sex, birth date but is freely supplied by you for whatever purpose);
- personal information provided by other dance groups, their directors or principals or clients about you personally or your behaviour or activity whilst involved in any similar or related activity to those run by Le Step;
- accident reports; and
- if you are applying for a position, we will collect information as outlined in the section below titled “Employment Applications”.
How your personal information will be used
We collect your personal information so that we can use it for our functions and activities, which include, amongst other things:
- organizing our classes, workshops or other events;
- being aware of any special requirements (health, diet or otherwise) you may have;
- providing you with information regarding Le Step and its activities;
- confirming your identity when you attend Le Step & Qld Modern Jive Championship activities;
- processing and considering your employment application (refer to “Employment Application” section below);
- addressing any feedback or complaints you may have;
- answering any queries you may have; and
- any purposes for which it was requested and directly related purposes, and developing, improving and marketing our dance products and dance services.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we will be unable to do one or more of the above (including being unable to accept you to any Le Step class, function competition or event).
If you also subscribe to our mailing list, we may e-mail to you updates about our products and services. If you do not wish to remain a subscriber to our mailing list or otherwise receive updates on our products and services, you are able to automatically remove your details from the subscriptions list via the QMJC Website or by phoning the Le Step office to be removed.
If you also provide Le Step or & Qld Modern Jive Championships with your mobile phone number we may choose to SMS updates about our products and services. If you do not wish to remain a subscriber to our SMS mailing list or otherwise receive updates on our products and services, you are able to phone the Le Step office to be removed.
Exchange of personal information with third parties
Personal information collected by Le Step & Qld Modern Jive Championships from you may be disclosed:
- to any entity or body to which we are required or authorised by or under law to disclose such information (for instance, law enforcement agencies, courts, various other government bodies);
- to other dance businesses trading under the Le Step or & Qld Modern Jive Championships name as a licence arrangement, franchise or otherwise;
- to others that you have been informed of at the time any personal information is collected from you;
- to our business associates, including but not limited to other dance groups or companies and their staff or crew (including voluntary crew) and others for purposes directly related to the purpose for which the personal information is collected or with regard your behaviour or activities at other dance related events or activities;
- to Le Step & Qld Modern Jive Championships staff or crew (including voluntary crew) who need to contact you for whatever purpose;
- to our professional advisors and other contractors (for example IT consultants and mailing houses). In these situations, we prohibit the third party contractor from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it; or
- with your consent (express or implied), to others.
Le Step & Qld Modern Jive Championships may also obtain personal and other information from some or all of the above to enable us to provide our dance related services or other products to you. When we obtain personal and other information from third parties whom we are referred to by you, we will automatically assume and you will ensure that you have made that third party aware of the referral and purposes involved in the collection, use and disclosure of the relevant personal or other information.
Use and disclosure of personal information by us
If we use or disclose your personal information for a purpose (the “secondary purpose”) other the main reason for which it was originally collected (the “primary purpose”), to the extent required by law, we will ensure that:
- the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that we would use or disclose your information in that way; or
- you have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary purpose; or
- the use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- the use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by law (for example, as a necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity).
- information generally provided by you or sometimes by other third parties, (including but not limited to birthdays, celebration of events – eg engagement, weddings, births etc) may be used in our general e-mail newsletter as general reading.
We agree to not publicise information that we believe may be confidential information or news.
Collection of information other than personal information
If you visit our website, some of the information we and/or our contractors collect about your visit to our website is not personal information because it does not reveal your identity. Information of this nature can include:
Site vist information
When you visit our website, we and/or our contractors collect general information about your visit which may include your server address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you accessed, the information you downloaded and the type of Internet browser you used.
We and/or our contractors may use this information in anonymous, aggregated form, for statistical purposes only, to assist us in improving the quality and usability of our website.
A cookie is a small string of information that a website transfers to your browser for identification purposes. The cookies we and/or our contractors use may identify individual users.
Cookies can either be “persistent” or “session” based. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer, contain an expiration date, and are mainly for the user’s convenience. Session cookies are short-lived and are held on your browser’s memory only for the duration of your session, they are used only during a browsing session, and expire when you quit your browser.
We and/or our contractors may use both session and persistent cookies. This information may be used to personalise your current visit to our and our contractors’ websites. Upon closing your browser, the session cookie is destroyed.
Most Internet browsers can be set to accept or reject cookies. If you do not want to accept cookies, you can adjust your Internet browser to reject cookies or to notify you when they are being used. However, rejecting cookies may limit the functionality of our website.
Access and correction of your personal information
You may ask to obtain access to your personal information that we and/or our contractors hold, although under some circumstances permitted by law, we may not provide such information to you. Furthermore, we may not be able to require our contractors or third parties to provide personal information to you.
In return for this service, Le Step & Qld Modern Jive Championships reserve the right to ask you to put your request in writing and pay a reasonable fee levied by us for this service.
It is important to us that the personal information Le Step & Qld Modern Jive Championships hold about you is fully accurate, complete and up to date. If you are aware that this is not case and would like your personal information corrected, or simply desire access to your personal information, please contact our Le Step office.
If we decide not to change information or provide you with access to your personal information, we will give you our reasons for our decision.
Issues or Complaints
If you have an issue or complaint about the way we have dealt with any of your personal information, please contact us at the Le Step office. We will make all reasonable attempts to respond to your complaints or requests. We can be contacted by email or by phone on (07) 3849 2553 or 0412 174 111.
Further information for you
Please contact our Le Step office if you have any queries about the personal information that we may hold about you or the way we handle and manage that personal information. We can be contacted by email or by phone on (07) 3849 2553 or 0412 174 111.